Monday, June 21, 2010

I want to write a book based off of my dreams.

Last night, I experienced something called a Lucid Dream for the first time.
Lucid dreaming is basically being aware that you are dreaming and on occasion, you can control that dream. In my opinion, that is freakin awesome.

Right before I went to bed last night, I started the book, "A Clockwork Orange." Now, I don't know if that contributed to this weird dreaming I had, but I am pretty sure it did.

In my dream, I was basically living in the future and it wasn't a pleasant one. It was a future filled with the government taking over absolutely everything and the military watching the streets at night. It was rare to find a decent and safe place to live. People were questionable, there was no money, we used the barter system and stole to get what we needed.

In the beginning of the dream, I was driving my car with someone in the passenger seat (I don't know who). I dropped that person off and decided I wanted to commit suicide because I couldn't stand this new world I was witnessing. So I tried to kill myself by slamming my car into random buildings. (I don't know what it was, maybe I couldn't find any cliffs to drive off of or something. I also can never drive properly in my dreams, no matter how hard I try.)

Anyway, I failed at killing myself and completely wreaked my car (obviously). So, I decided to check this new world out. (I don't feel like writing out all of the details of the new world, I wrote paragraphs and paragraphs in my dream journal this morning but I'll try to keep it short and simple here). Basically, green was a hard color to find. There was barely any grass and most of the land was dry. Surprisingly, I found a safe place to stay for a few days that was filled with green grass and a few trees too. This place was a little community filled with people my age. They welcomed me with warmth and smiles and let me stay as long as I wanted to. I accepted the invitation and stayed for a few days. While at this place, I managed to find an old friend, gather up supplies and clothes to last me a while (by stealing out of peoples suitcases from the streets), and become familiar with my new home.

The old friend I ran into looked a lot like my friend, Raymond, so we will call him Raymond. Now, Raymond promised that when we figures it out, he will help me escape this place. It wasn't a bad place to be, I was kind of enjoying it. But, at night the military roamed the streets and whoever was roaming the streets as well were sent to the prison at the military base. The green hideout I lived in was basically secretive and the military could find it at any given moment. That's why I had to get out.

Next thing I knew, I was in a crummy old apartment. It was a huge time jump I suppose. I assumed that Raymond got me out of the hideout and brought me there. The military still roamed the streets there, but it was safer than an unwanted hide out I suppose. While I was there, there was a knock on the door. I opened it to find some guy trying to get me to barter with him. I refused and he noticed that I was very bitter (Well, I only somehow ended up in a futuristic world where people live in fear and it seemed as if the apocalypse hit the planet.) This guy gave up the bartering attempt and then he was really determined to make me laugh. He took me to his place where all of his friend and family were. They all seemed happy and content and they manged to get a few smiles and laughs out of me. After that bit, the guy took me back to my apartment where Raymond was cooking dinner. While walking back in, I noticed that the apartment wasn't very secure for the doors seemed to be made out of rubber. When I got back inside, Raymond showed me what he cooked for dinner and a cat's head was laid out on a platter burnt with it's eyes bulging out. After that, I never let him cook again.
That was the end of my dream that seemed to last all night.

During this whole entire dream, I swear I knew I was dreaming. I had control of my actions and I had a blast with it (even though the dream wasn't that pleasant). I also think I was half awake at times because I distinctly remember rolling over and just continuing with the same dream with the realization that I can control it. I chose to try to kill myself to escape the new world, I chose to push some random guy off of me when he tried to kiss me and told him that I wasn't one to kiss random strangers, I chose to steal clothes so I can be clothed even though they were guys clothes, and I chose to trust my friend Raymond.

When I was young, I watched a Blues Clues episode where they told you that you can control your dreams, you can make your scary dreams into happy dreams. I never believed them. Their method never helped me make my reoccurring dinosaur dream disappear. I never believed them until now. It's so crazy. I can't even explain it. Maybe I should read, "A Clockwork Orange" before bed more often so I can see if this could happen again.

I strongly recommend keeping track of your dreams. Keep a journal by your bed and write them down immediately after waking up or else you can forget them easily. Force yourself to write them if you have to. Things can get interesting, trust me.

1 comment: