Friday, April 30, 2010

lecture.

I have attended several lectures this year. None of the lectures I've been too haven't been related to my major yet until last night. The first photography lecture I have ever attended was by Annie Leibovitz.

Last night I had the opportunity to hear Annie Leibovitz speak at a lecture at Syracuse University.
This was a rare moment from the start. Annie isn't known to give very many lectures and it just so happens she is related to one of the students at SU so I'm guessing that's how it all began.

I hitched a ride with a sophomore from one of my classes named Sasha. I am really thankful she was willing to drive the only freshman going to the lecture all the way to Syracuse. When we got to SU, I felt very small and was easily intimated by the huge buildings that made up the campus. I tried to imagine me on this campus filled with opportunities and such but it just wasn't working out in my head. I imagined myself getting lost on the way too class every day, not being able to find my class room in the huge buildings, and being just one of the thousands and thousands of students there just trying to get by. It was then I decided maybe I'm meant to go to a small college. I think the size of SUNY colleges would be my limit, anything beyond there is just not my cup of tea.

Anyway, we arrived at the huge dome building where the lecture was being held and of course, we got there a bit too late and almost every seat was already taken. I wondered with the group for about 10 minutes looking for a seat then decided to go off on my own to find a bathroom then find myself a seat. I ended up having a really great seat with an awesome view...if i kneeled the whole time. I really tired to kneel the whole time but I was like ahh and my feet were driving me crazy so I sat and lifted myself up with my hands to see what was going on every 5 seconds. That method seemed to work a bit better.

The whole time I was just sitting there appreciating every minute I was listening to Annie speak. I knew I would never live those moments again so I soaked them in like a sponge while I could. She mentioned a lot of photographers I learned about in photo history class and I was happy to say that with almost every photographer she mentioned i was able to picture a picture of theirs in my head. hah.

I wish I could have stayed to shake her hand or something. She was lucky enough to be where she is today and to be able to meet some of my biggest heroes and inspirations. I envy her and she's a truly inspiring person. But sadly, there was a huge line waiting already and we had to get back to Caz.

Basically, I will never forget this opportunity I had. I came back to Caz wanting to tell everyone stories about the lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment