Sunday, March 28, 2010

A rant about reality TV shows..

Just because I'm not tired yet...

I have noticed in the past few years, that reality TV shows have become extremely popular...for reasons that I am unaware of.

I must admit, I do watch a few myself such as; America's Top Model and Picture This! which is based on photography. But the only reasons I watch those shows is to see the concepts, the directing, the lighting, the placement, of photography. How the photographers work with their subjects to get the best shots, how they go about editing, etc. I don't watch it for the pleasure of the drama and watching people cry. I don't watch it for their annoying rants about each other. I watch it because of my hobby/soon to be career.

Here is an example of a show that does nothing but piss me off; Sweet 16.
Now, in American culture, the 16th birthday is a big deal (for most people) but most (probably all) of these girls are the most spoiled brats I have ever seen. They go around flaunting their popularity and their money just to impress people are get an hour of air time. They take their parents as push overs and end up getting whatever they please. They wave around thank you's, hugs, and kisses, but I am pretty sure they don't appreciate what they have. They are lost within the depths of the materialistic world they were brought up in.
I saw one girl go on a rampage for a hour just because she didn't get her Dunkin Donuts in the morning. I saw another bitch at her mom because of not getting a dress that was past her spending limit. Obviously, they haven't learned how to appreciate life yet.


The other shows where they take a whole bunch of rich kids and stick them all in a house together are quite ridiculous as well. These people are getting paid to live in a huge house with a bunch of strangers and cause drama for America's entertainment. I mean, who knows if these shows are actually "reality" or are some of them pre-planned.
I rather not sit down to watch a program about girls bitch fighting over a guy, making out scenes, lies, drama, drinking, sex, etc. It just doesn't appeal to me and I can never see it appealing to me. I don't understand why it appeals to others. All those people do is whine and all of the sudden everyone loves them and everyone wants to be them.

It's one thing to have a tv show with a plot and actors who are willing to try their best to entertain their audiences. It's another thing to stick a camera crew in other people's lives and call it entertainment. Most of the time, I feel as if these people are doing this for the attention and sympathy from others...

A lot of these shows just happen to be on MTV.
And I have a question, what the freak happened to MTV?
It's called Music Television, correct?
Well most of it now are these reality shows, dating shows, and whatever music happens to end up on it sucks!
I think that it should be renamed to... WHNGMAMBNWHSRSTV
And that stands for...We Have No Good Music Anymore But Now We Have Stupid Reality Shows Television.
: ]


Here is what I propose...
We take all of those people who think life is filled with diamonds, shopping, sex, and drama and throw them all in a soup kitchen for lets say...a few months. Let them see what the other side of life is going through and hopefully slap them all with a bit of actual reality. Go figure.
I think that once they appreciate what they have, they will be better people, and they will be less annoying.

That's just my opinion though, you don't have to listen to me.


On a lighter note, I saw the movie, "The Blind Side" today and it was amazing.
I recommend it to anyone.
I finally finished my video for my Time Movement and Narrative class and it can be viewed on my facebook here: CLICK!
&&& Here is a video of Reel Big Fish doing a cover of one of my favorite Operation Ivy songs....



^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment